Search our Help Documents
It depends. PolyUMod licenses are offered for a single FE code, and whether the license is node-locked or floating depends upon the FE code selected. More specifically:
- For Abaqus, ANSYS, LS-DYNA, and MSC.Marc, the PolyUMod software program is available with a floating network license, utilizing its own license server.
- For COMSOL Multiphysics, PolyUMod is available with either a floating network license, utilizing its own license server, OR a node-locked license, installed on one computer and used on that computer only.
(A license server is a central location on a network where licenses are stored and can be accessed by users on the network.)
With a floating network license, you install a license server on a single computer, and install the software on an unlimited number of computers on your network.
The single computer where the floating network license resides can be a server or it can be a personal workstation. If it resides on one person’s workstation, other users on the network (who have downloaded the software onto their own computers) can access the license simply by providing the name of the license-holder’s machine when prompted.
The floating network license also allows users to install PolyUMod on their local machines and to run another software program such as Abaqus on a different computer.
MCalibration is provided as a node-locked license, to be installed on one computer and used on that computer only.
Note that PolyUMod floating licenses can also be generated for use on a virtual server.
We do not use geographic restrictions. Regardless of a user’s location, the license will work as long as the user has a direct internet connection to the license server.
Licenses for MCalibration are based on the number of computers on which you would like to run the software, independent of how many cores or instances you use.
Licenses for PolyUMod differ according to the FE code:
- For PolyUMod for Abaqus, LS-DYNA, Altair Radioss, and MSC.Marc, licenses are based on “tokens.” One token of PolyUMod is used for each core needed to run a job. The number of cores used is the same as the number of cores that are used in an FE simulation. If you would like to run a job using four cores, then you need four license tokens for PolyUMod. Similarly, if you have four license tokens for PolyUMod on your server, you can run two simultaneous jobs each using two cores, or four simultaneous jobs each using one core, etc. Note that the license tokens remain checked out while a simulation is running.
- For PolyUMod for ANSYS, licenses are structured to correspond with the user’s selected ANSYS product.
A standard solver license includes 2 cores and 1 solver. Additional solver licenses are for 2 cores each, and high performance computing (HPC) solver licenses are for 32 cores each.
- For PolyUMod for COMSOL, licenses are structured to be compatible with the COMSOL Multiphysics licensing options.
A floating license can use up to 32 parallel cores. A node-locked license allows an unlimited number of parallel cores.
Veryst offers two versions of the PolyUMod and MCalibration software. Pricing differs according to the selected version.
The Professional version offers a license tailored to your specific needs.
This version of PolyUMod includes all PolyUMod material models developed by PolymerFEM.
PolyUMod and MCalibration are sold separately.
For use with Abaqus, LS-DYNA, Altair Radioss, or MSC.Marc: pricing is based on the number of PolyUMod tokens as well as the number of MCalibration licenses you choose.
For use with ANSYS: pricing is based on the number of Standard Solvers, Additional Solvers, and HPC Solvers, as well as the number of MCalibration licenses you choose.
For use with COMSOL Multiphysics: pricing is based on whether the license for PolyUMod is a floating license (which can use up to 32 parallel cores) or a node-locked license (which can use an unlimited number of parallel cores) as well as the number of MCalibration licenses you choose.
The Academic version is available to currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff of academic institutions. (Student or faculty/staff ID or other proof of enrollment or employment by an academic institution is required, and the number of times this license can be renewed may be limited.)
This version of the software includes:
MCalibration: one license; and
- PolyUMod for Abaqus, COMSOL Multiphysics, LS-DYNA, Altair Radioss, or MSC.Marc: four tokens
PolyUMod for a single FE code:
- PolyUMod for ANSYS: 1 Standard Solver (2 cores) and 1 HPC Solver (32 cores)
- This version is offered at special academic pricing.
For floating licenses (all licenses except for the Professional node-locked license option for use with COMSOL Multiphysics and MCalibration licenses), fees are for the license itself—the software can be installed on any number of computers without any additional fee.
All license fees are for a one-year license. A new license is issued when the software license is renewed.
Please visit the PolymerFEM sales page to request pricing details.
The PolyUMod software comes with an extensive User’s Manual. This manual is installed automatically when the software is installed.
In addition, technical support for the software is available and includes the following:
assistance with the software functionality
troubleshooting technical problems related to the software
guidance on how to improve your calibration results.
The professional software licenses include free technical support ranging from one to five hours, according to the details of your license. PolymerFEM can also provide additional technical support, as well as training in the use of the software. To request assistance with using the software, please visit the Forum page.
You will not need a new license when a new version of the software is released. You can continue to use the software version you have already installed or can download and use the new version. (If you wish to download the new version, we recommend that you uninstall your current version first.) Whichever you choose, the license is unaffected.
In addition to knowing the number of PolyUMod tokens and/or the number of MCalibration licenses you would like to buy, we will need to know if the machine where you would like the license installed is a virtual server.
The PolyUMod library and MCalibration software are currently available for the following computer platforms:
- A x86-64 computer running Microsoft Windows
- A x86-64 computer running Linux (RHEL 7 or 8)
Note: The PolyUMod library for use with COMSOL Multiphysics or MSC.Marc is currently available only for Microsoft Windows.
The PolyUMod library currently supports Abaqus (versions 2020, 2021, 2022), ANSYS (version 2020, 2021), LS-DYNA (version R13), MSC.Marc (version 2020, 2021), Altair Radioss (version 2020, 2021) and COMSOL Multiphysics (version 6.0). PolyUMod may also support previous versions of FE software—please contact us for details.
PolyUMod is a set of 23 pre-defined material models that can be used to represent the nonlinear viscoplastic behavior of many different types of materials.
MCalibration is a software tool to calibrate material models to experimental data. MCalibration can help the user calibrate material models for the PolyUMod library. Additionally, MCalibration can calibrate built-in material models for Abaqus, ANSYS, LS-DYNA, MSC.Marc, Altair Radioss, and COMSOL Multiphysics. MCalibration comes with calibrated material parameters for three materials.
The PolymerFEM Material Database includes 18 pre-calibrated material models. PolymerFEM has calibrated the material models to experimental data for specific polymers. These material models can be used to perform FE simulations instead of using values from a specification sheet. Using the Material Database requires that PolyUMod be installed.
The 18 pre-calibrated material models included in the PolymerFEM Material Database are for generic polymers, and the experimental data is not included. Note also that PolyUMod does not include representative data for common materials.
Please contact us if you would like us to test your materials for you.
Yes, you can combine the material models in the PolyUMod library with your own user subroutines to use in an FE program. You simply compile your user-subroutines into object-code format and then link them with PolyUMod. To do that you need to download PolyUMod in object-code format.
Please contact us if you would like us to develop customized material subroutines for specific polymers for you
The answer is yes, you can use as many sets of data as you wish. Each data set may be given a fitness weight from the “Load Case Setup.”
You do not need a compiler to use the PolyUMod software. The user-material library is already compiled and is provided as a shared library.
There are three simple steps:
1. Install the shared library or custom executable on the simulation computer.
2. Specify the appropriate material parameters in the pre-processor or the input file. (The required material parameters can be obtained from the MCalibration® software.)
3. Run the FE simulation as usual. The finite element simulations will then automatically use the specific Veryst user-material model library as if it were a built-in feature.
The User’s Manual that details installation and usage is provided with each polymer library.
We recommend you do the following:
1. Install the software on the simulation computer.
2. Open MCalibration.
3. Read through the “Introduction to MCalibration” tutorial to learn how to enter data, perform a basic calibration, and export a calibrated material model to ANSYS or Abaqus.
The software change log is available here.
One a Windows computer:
- Uninstall all old versions of MCalibration and PolyUMod.
- Run the MCalibration and PolyUMod installer again. This time select both MCalibration and PolyUMod. You need to specify an activation key (or license file if you have one already).
One a Linux computer:
- During a normal installation you copy all files to /opt/PolymerFEM, so the PolyUMod files have already been installed. If not, copy the files again.
- Start MCalibration and click on the “Create license file from Activation Key” in the Help Menu. This will create your PolyUMod floating network license file.
- Copy this license file to
- Start the license server using the commands:
./rlm -dlog /tmp/rlm.log &
PolymerFEM LLC (2023). MCalibration version: 7.xx. Dover, MA. https://polymerfem.com