X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source of Elasticity Tensor (Jacobian) / UMAT / Neo-Hooke / Chapter 10

Dear Mr. Bergström,
    dear forum-users,

how did you derivate the jacobian of the neo-hookean model (Abaqus UMAT subroutine) in Chapter 10? I'm asking because I've derivated the lagrangian elasticity tensor from the second piola-kirchhoff stress tensor. By applying a push forward operation I get the eulerian elasticity tensor (same as in: Bonet & Wood: Nonlinear Continuum Mechanics For Finite Element Analysis (2nd Edition), p.170). The point is, your Jacobian is working and mine does not converge. What I'm doing wrong?

I've tested the Neo-Hookean model in a MSC.Marc subroutine (HYPELA2). With 2nd Piola-Kirchhoff-stresses / Lagrangian elasticity tensor / Large Strain / Total Lagrange everything is fine. But if I switch to Large Strain / Updated Lagrange settings in MSC.Marc Mentat and calculate the cauchy-stresses / eulerian elasticity tensor in my subroutine it does not converge at larger strains. I assume that I've made a mistake in the push forward operation of the elasticity tensor.

Thanks!

(sorry for the bad quality of my scan, forum is scaling down the resultion)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by duan; 2016-12-28, 15:43.

Good question. It could be multiple reasons for that (I did not carefully study your questions )

I recommend that you check that you use a proper definition of the engineering strains. Most FE software use engineering shear strains (not tensorial strains).

-Jorgen
    Jorgen Bergstrom, Ph.D. PolymerFEM Administrator

Comment

I think I got it (source is in german - didn't found a source written in english). If anyone is interested in the elasticity tensor - although only for total lagrange, see this (p.111). Even non native german speakers should understand that page .

Best Regards,
      duan

Comment

Working...
      X