Abaqus gpu support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abaqus gpu support

I am looking for a list of Abaqus 6.12 compatible graphics cards for GPU computations support. If anyone knows anything about this subject please advice me.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by mech5243 View Post
    I am looking for a list of Abaqus 6.12 compatible graphics cards for GPU computations support. If anyone knows anything about this subject please advice me.

Thanks in advance.
    I use the tesla C2075 from Nvidia card with abaqus 6.12-2. I think other cards are also supported but unfortunately I don't have a list.
    GPU acceleration is only possible for the standard symmetric solver. The explicit and unsymmetric solver could be supported in future releases.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! And lets assume that i have a compatible card then the only think i have to do is to add a flag " gpu=Nvidia" in command line? No other configurations are needed?

Comment

Hi to all, I am new in this forum. I installed in labs computer a new abaqus version the 6.12.1. On that computer there is an Ati Radeon 5400 HD and on an other one an NVIDIA ,cuda ready, GeForce 8600 GT. How to use the gpgpu acceleration? From commandline or by the jobs menu it doesn't work there is a guide to perform this acceleration?
        Best regards

Comment

I believe all you need to do is to add the command line argument: " gpu=Nvidia " when you start Abaqus.
          It is quite possible that you cannot do that through the Abaqus/CAE interface.

-Jorgen
          Jorgen Bergstrom, Ph.D. PolymerFEM Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Jorgen View Post
            I believe all you need to do is to add the command line argument: " gpu=Nvidia " when you start Abaqus.
            It is quite possible that you cannot do that through the Abaqus/CAE interface.

-Jorgen
            Thanks a lot for your reply, I tried in the command line to di this:
            C:\temp abaqus gpu=Nvidia
            But The program returns an error message that the keyword of GPU must ne an integer. I tried to use a number but it still does not work and give back this error
            GpGpu Token not available, disabling gpgpu support
            There is a problem with my GPU ? Or I m doing something wrong?
            Thanks for The help

Comment

You are right, the command line option is: gpus=[number]

Note, however, I believe you need to have Abaqus license tokens for the GPU, and most people may not have those by default.

-Jorgen

Comment

Note, however, I believe you need to have Abaqus license tokens for the GPU, and most people may not have those by default.

-Jorgen
                Dear Jorgen thanks a lot for your reply. So my lab licence probably does not have this module. To verfy that I haven't this licence Token what I have to do?

Best regards
                Daniele

Comment

Check your abaqus license file. On my computer that file is called "simulialm.lic" (it used to be called "license.lic").

The license file contains many different "FEATURE" lines. I just noticed that my license file contains a "gpgpu" feature, so I guess that I can run with GPUS. Hmm, interesting.

-Jorgen

Comment

Ok I will check The licence file, hope to have this feature my analysis are time comsuming and GPU acceleration can help a lot. Best regards

Daniele

Comment

Check your abaqus license file. On my computer that file is called "simulialm.lic" (it used to be called "license.lic").

The license file contains many different "FEATURE" lines. I just noticed that my license file contains a "gpgpu" feature, so I guess that I can run with GPUS. Hmm, interesting.

-Jorgen
                      I performed this check and my license have the CPU but not gpgpu :( :(

Comment

-Jorgen
                        Hi to everyone, now thaks my new phd project I can use the GPGPU tool, and I would like to ast you all how to configure abaqus to use it. I see that from the gui you can just select it, but it does not give me a feedback, I checked also the GPU load and appear like is not working instead CPUs are working at 100%. I have the right number of tokens, but I really dont know.
                        My second question is, I know that the more expensive GPGPU cards are widely supported, but what about high end gaming graphic cards? Some AMD but also NVIDIA are really powerfull and the precision in sigle and double is really near to the more expensive professional gpu computing cards. I was wondering to clustering some NVIDIA TITAN that are expensive but not at the same level of teslas... or lesser powerful like the 780ti. AMD has really powerfull gpus like the 7860 that reach 3.5 Teraflops on single precision with 2k stream processors, and cost much lesser than a tesla. Does anyone have experience on this?

Best regards to everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by CNTman View Post
                          Hi to everyone, now thaks my new phd project I can use the GPGPU tool, and I would like to ast you all how to configure abaqus to use it. I see that from the gui you can just select it, but it does not give me a feedback, I checked also the GPU load and appear like is not working instead CPUs are working at 100%. I have the right number of tokens, but I really dont know.
                          My second question is, I know that the more expensive GPGPU cards are widely supported, but what about high end gaming graphic cards? Some AMD but also NVIDIA are really powerfull and the precision in sigle and double is really near to the more expensive professional gpu computing cards. I was wondering to clustering some NVIDIA TITAN that are expensive but not at the same level of teslas... or lesser powerful like the 780ti. AMD has really powerfull gpus like the 7860 that reach 3.5 Teraflops on single precision with 2k stream processors, and cost much lesser than a tesla. Does anyone have experience on this?

Best regards to everyone!
                          Hey CNTman,

So what happened? Did you find out whether it's possible to run Abaquson Geforce cards?

BR!

Comment

Hi everyone,

The compatible GPU card list can be found on the Abaqus website.
                            With every other card I guess it's not possible to get GPU acceleration working - at least based on my current googling.
                            I have a GTX 650 available (including the necessary GPGPU license tokens) but on Abaqus2017 adding

Code:
                            import os, driverUtils
                            os.environ["ABA_ACCELERATOR_TYPE"]="PLATFORM_CUDA" # Nvidia
                            to the c:\users\myusername\abaqus_v6.env file doesn't help.
                            The log file says:

Run standard.exe
                            WARNING: cannot load the GPU solver library:
                            WARNING: GPU Acceleration Disabled
                            Last edited by Hans.f; 2018-07-05, 02:01. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Hans.f View Post
                              Hi everyone,

The compatible GPU card list can be found on the Abaqus website.
                              With every other card I guess it's not possible to get GPU acceleration working - at least based on my current googling.
                              I have a GTX 650 available (including the necessary GPGPU license tokens) but on Abaqus2017 adding

Code:
                              import os, driverUtils
                              os.environ["ABA_ACCELERATOR_TYPE"]="PLATFORM_CUDA" # Nvidia
                              to the c:\users\myusername\abaqus_v6.env file doesn't help.
                              The log file says:

Is there any published data that shows the benefit of using the gpu over just using more cpu cores?

Comment

Working...
                              X