Notifications
Clear all

Visualizing user-defined elements in Abaqus/CAE  

phonesystems
(@phonesystems)

Hi 🙂

I also would like to visualize an UEL (2D - 4Nodes). But according to section 29,16,1 of the online abaqus help, it is not possible.

But I also know that it is possible to use overlaid elements

I already read this on this forum:

The way to overlay elements is to add the elements into the input file, and then tie/join the DOF between the UEL and standard elements. It is not anything tricky about this, all you need to do is to create a new set of (standard) elements that have the same coordinate positions.

Where are the DOF (file?) ? I did just add 4 points into my input file and tried to complete it .. I also used an example given by Abaqus (UELTRAN with the ueltran.f fortran program). But if you try to run this example, you will just see 2 crosses, which actually correspond to 2 points of the UEL. And if you select a huge area around theese crosses you will see the other points of the UEL (in red because they are selected)!! It is weird, no ?

But I found a way to see the nodes of this UEL with this command ( that you have to put into the input file):

*ELGEN, ELSET=UTRUSS

101 ,5 (number of my points)

With that are all my UELs points materialized by a cross .. but I cant see an entire solid (and I cant complete the Job). But is that normal ? The images attached by DaVinci (post of 2007 about the same topic) are not just crosses .. ! How did you manage that?

Thanks!

pechfalke.

Topic Tags
1 Reply
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

I dont use UELs very often, but I remember having those discussions in the past. As you mentioned, you should be able to overlay your elements with standard elements in order to visualize the mesh.

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
1 Reply
Share: