Help Forums

Elastic and Plastic deformation gradients in AB Viscoplastic model  

Page 1 / 2

Melly
(@melly)

Dr. Jorgen, 

I am trying to write a VUMAT to implement the  Arruda-Boyce viscoplastic model. After assuming linear elasticity at the beginning of the analysis, the total deformation gradient (F) can be easily obtained from defgradNew. 

I am a little bit confused about how to decompose F into its elastic and plastic components. Should I obtain the plastic components from the state variables and then, of course, find the elastic part via the product of F and the inverse of the plastic part?

How about the plastic flow rate, the rate of the plastic deformation, time-derivative of the deformation gradient, and the strain softening. How to incorporate these to capture the material response?

My reference is Chapter 8 of your book (Mechanics of Solid Polymers).

Thank you very much, 

Warm regards, 

Melly 

11 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Good question. You need to save either the elastic or the plastic components of F as state variables. I typically save Fp. Then you need to write an equation for the time-derivative of Fp, and calculate Fp at time t+dt. Once you have Fp at t+dt, you can calculate Fe at t+dt, which you can use to calculate the new stress at t+dt.

Best of luck,
Jorgen

1 Reply
Melly
(@melly)

@jorgen

I appreciate. Let me try and figure it out. 

The time derivative of Fp is given in the book (Equation 8.38). I believe the deviatoric part of stress driving the plastic flow required to get the rate of plastic deformation is calculated from the Fe at time t. I also believe that I don't have to explicitly state the time increment dt as it is taken care of by Abaqus. 

Suppose the Fp  (t+dt) = Fp(t) + dtFp(time-derivative), How about the total F(t+dt) so that I can get Fe(t+dt). 

Thank you very much. 

Warm regards, 

Melly. 

Jorgen
(@jorgen)

The total F(t+dt) is provided by Abaqus, so you can calculate Fe(t+dt) once you have calculated Fp(t+dt).

-Jorgen

Melly
(@melly)

Dr. Jorgen,
Many many thanks. I realized that the total F at the beginning and at the end of the time step is given by defgradOld and defgradNew, respectively.

Regards,
Melly.

Melly
(@melly)

Dr. Jorgen, 

Once again, I appreciate your guidance. It means everything to my research.

I have written the code for AB viscoplastic model. I must have missed a few important details as there is an excessive distortion of elements. 

The only part of the code that I borrowed is the one that utilizes Jacobi method for eigen values and vectors (In order to calculate the Hencky strain). 

If you have a minute, kindly have a look at my code (attached) and (if possible) give me some hints on where I could be wrong. 

Warm regards, 

Melly

Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register