Epoxy damage model ...

Notifications
Clear all

Epoxy damage model in - Abaqus  

Catherine Panferova
(@Catherine Panferova)

Hi,

I am working on Epoxy material damage for a research project. We observed from the experiments that the Epoxy material just fails without any plastic deformation and tensile yield strength is lower than compression (2-3 times). So, in order to simulate the material damage model in Abaqus, could anyone advise me that which damage model I should consider for my analysis?. In Abaqus, most of the material-damage models available for ductile materials, for example, General Ductile, Jhohnson-Cook, Druckker Prager model, etc..Although I could see brittle cracking model, its only availble in Abaqus/Explicit if am not wrong..

Thanks in advance,,

Bernad

3 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Can you explain more about what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to simply predict a safety factor, in which case you do not need to have a real failure model active, you just need to be able to post-process the data properly.

Or are you trying to simulate an epoxy part being deformed through failure?

There are multiple failure models that are suitable for the behavior that you are describing. One option is the failure theory developed by Christensen.

-Jorgen

3 Replies
Catherine Panferova
(@Catherine Panferova)

Damage model for Brittle Epoxy in Abaqus

Hello Dr.Jorgen,

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to simulate failure strength of braided composites (meso-scale) in transverse direction in which Epoxy plays a crucial role. So I need to define a material damage model for the matrix (Epoxy) to predict ultimate failure. In tensile loading, the neat epoxy is brittle without any plastic deformation, whereas in case of compression, it exhibits plastic deformation with increased yield strength which is two times the tensile strength.

May I know that any inbuilt damage models in Abaqus can be used in my case without requirement of any subroutine?

W.r.t Christensen model, its not readily available in Abaqus , is it?

Thanks & regards,

Bernad

[QUOTE=Jorgen,11041]Can you explain more about what you are trying to do?

Are you trying to simply predict a safety factor, in which case you do not need to have a real failure model active, you just need to be able to post-process the data properly.

Or are you trying to simulate an epoxy part being deformed through failure?

There are multiple failure models that are suitable for the behavior that you are describing. One option is the failure theory developed by Christensen.

-Jorgen[/QUOTE]

Catherine Panferova
(@Catherine Panferova)

Hello Dr. Jorgen,

Thanks for your time and help. I am trying to simulate the epoxy part being deformed through failure using christensen failure thoery. Could you please advise me how i can use the Christensen thoery in Abaqus?

Thanks,

Bernad

Share: