Notifications
Clear all

Performing FEA at varying temperatures conditions

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@andreasm4)

What is the best approach to look at a problem of using a material like ABS for example, and desiring to perform an FEA to determine results at typical non-room temperature conditions. I understand most data pulled off of Matweb is done at room temperature. I would like to get some results at below and above room temperature say 0C and 35C, without having the actual stress strain curves done in a lab at said temps, am I flying into the abyss?

Thanks

Topic Tags
3 Replies
(@jorgen)

I always recommend that you perform the actual experiments That is the only way to make sure that you have accurate data for [I]your specific polymer[/I].
If all you need is a rough estimate, then you can use literature data for how the properties change with temperature. There is lots of available data in various scientific papers, but you of course need to find it 😀

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
3 Replies
Topic starter
(@andreasm4)

Thanks for the response and info. There might be a situation where an outside lab can do the test(s) required for accurate results at the temp. points desired, but for a rough estimate and cost, I will need to rely on data sheets and available info. Its a struggle for garbage in > garbage out that a lot of my collegues are not aware of, they rush to do an FEA and assume the results are good.

(@jorgen)

I agree. In my experience, a few well selected experiments is not very expensive and can help a lot!

-Jorgen

Share: