Clear all

modelling creep / relaxation in ANSYS

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@Ikram)

Good morning to all,

my name is Johannes and as part of a student work for university I have to create a simulation model to show the creep of polymer gears (PA66, POM, PEEK). From the material data I have I calculated the coefficients for the time hardening equation which is provided by Ansys Workbench. I now have two questions:

- What do you think about using the time hardening equation? How can I find the best equation to use to describe the creep of rigid semi-crystalline polymers? Is there a model you would recommend for this case or maybe models which I shouldnt use?

- As there is time with no load between the loads on a tooth of the gear I am thinking of how to include the relaxation in my simulation. Do the creep models already include relaxation effects?

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Best regards,

Johannes

2 Replies
(@jorgen)

Time-hardening is in general not a good approach. I recommend that you try to use a strain based creep equation instead.
Or even better the [URL= https://polymerfem.com/content.php?78-three-network-model ]Three Network Model[/URL].

-Jorgen

2 Replies
Topic starter
(@Ikram)

Hi Jorgen,

thanks for your answer. Can you also tell me why a strain based creep model is a better approach for my case?

Thanks for your help.

Johannes

Share: