Notifications
Clear all

How to solve the problem encountered when debugging Abaqus vumat subroutine in visual studio?

liniugang@yeah.net
Topic starter
(@liniugangyeah-net)
Dear friends
when I debug a vumat subroutine in visual studio, the debugging process will end after only a strainInc, though there are many strainInc in Abaqus. Do someone meet the similar problem? If so, what will you do to solve it?
3 Replies
chilissauerkraut
(@chilissauerkraut)

1. Get the Abaqus environment ready.

a. Open abaqus v6.env using a text editor in C:Abaqus6.9-1site

b. Scroll down

c. Include the '/Od' and '/Zi' parameters to "compile fortran" to have the Intel Fortran compiler add debug symbolic information to the.obj file. ['ifort', '/c', '/Gm', '/recursive', '/nologo', '/heap-arrays:1', '/include: percent I', '/Od', '/Zi'] 'ifort', '/c', '/Gm', '/recursive', '/nologo'.

d. Add /DEBUG to "link sl" to allow the Visual C++.NET linker to link the files with the symbolic information in the.obj file. "e.g., LINK /DEBUG /nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO /subsystem:console /machine:X86 e.g., LINK /DEBUG /nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO /subsystem:console /machine:X86 To allow the Visual C++.NET linker to debug the files, add /DEBUG to "link exe"

e. Link exe='cmd /c " "/DEBUG /nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO /subsystem:console INK /DEBUG /nologo /INCREMENTAL:NO /subsystem:console.

2. Create your job (*.inp) and subroutine (*.for) files.

3. In Microsoft Visual Studio, open your FORTRAN code.

4. Right after the "DIMENSION" declaration, add a READ(*,*) VARIABLE to your subroutine source code file, where "VARIABLE" is the variable's arbitrary name. Also, set a breakpoint at a function/variable of interest, such as READ(*,*), VARIABLE, or use Debug -> QuickWatch to observe a variable of interest. By hitting F9, you can add/remove breakpoints.

Maybe it useful with you!

t283a998
(@t283a998)

There could be a lot of option.

I usually run the simulation for one element with and without vumat. Compare the results for to see what the potential issue could be?  

Next, i do some hand calculation for one element and put 'write' statement in vumat code to check the values from the log file. hope this helps 

guadalupecortez
(@guadalupecortez)

I usually run the simulation for one element with and without vumat. Compare the results for to see what the potential issue could be and then do some hand calculation.

Share: