Notifications
Clear all

Calibrating a POM material for Abaqus

Knight
Topic starter
(@Knight)

Hi! Unfortunalty when I joined my company I just missed out on a class from Mr Bergstrom. In turn I hope someone here could help me out a bit! Our company has licenses for Mcalibration and PolyUMod.

I have a real load situation with a plastic support part in a bolt connection. The POM-part is compressed and I want to investigate relaxation behaviour. But I have trouble to generate a good material model in Abaqus.

The data I have is available on: [URL= http://www.campusplastics.com/campus/en/datasheet/HOSTAFORM+C+2521/Celanese/163/591f9103/SI?pos=10#page26581]http://www.campusplastics.com/campus/en/datasheet/HOSTAFORM+C+2521/Celanese/163/591f9103/SI?pos=10#page26581[/URL]

First I tried a LVE model in Abaqus by defining shear test data in the following way:

- Normalizing the creep modulus data at 20MPa with the Youngs modulus, entering this in the shear test data together with the corresponding time.

- Evaluate the material. I cant get a good fit really!

- Made a simple model of a cube, load it with 20MPa and plot the normalized creep modulus together with the test data. Got a similar curve, but hoped for a better fit.

After this I installed Mcal and tried to put in the data from the CAMPUS database. I converted the creep modulus data to strain/time and entered for 20MPa and tried to fit a LVE without success. I also tried to add stress/strain data but Mcalibration needs the time, which I dont have. The problem is probably that I dont really know how to use the program! I have looked through Mr Bergstroms introduction videos though.

Could anyone advise me on how to use Mcalibration in the best way for this material? Should I even use a LVE material or is it too simple to catch the correct behaviour? In any case, how do I handle the problem with strain/stress data without the time data?

Hopefully someone of you could point me in the right direction!

Best regards,

Henrik

1 Reply
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Hello Henrik,

Can you provide figures of what your calibration looks like? Also, can you provide the mcal-file?

Yes, you need the time data. If you dont have it, and if it does not make a difference, then just ignore it.
I can comment on what material models are suitable if you provide an image of the data you are trying to match.

-Jorgen

1 Reply
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Hello Henrik,

Can you provide figures of what your calibration looks like? Also, can you provide the mcal-file?

Yes, you need the time data. If you dont have it, and if it does not make a difference, then just ignore it.
I can comment on what material models are suitable if you provide an image of the data you are trying to match.

-Jorgen

Share: