Notifications
Clear all

Tissue Modelling

afarin
Topic starter
(@afarin)

I come from a computer science background specially image processing. We had some epithelial tissue that we needed to segment accurately and I have successfully done that. Ultimately what I want to achieve is to model the growth of this epithelial tissue using lets say level set methods. As a starting point what I want to do with this segmented black and white image is to apply toy forces on some of the points on the boundary of the tissue and look at the deformation of the tissue. I am curious how I can load an image to Abaqus. I saw some papers where this has been done, but I just dont see how they have done it. Has anyone any idea about how I can proceed ?

5 Replies
lynx
 lynx
(@lynx)
Trusted Member

[QUOTE=zadig,5892]I come from a computer science background specially image processing. We had some epithelial tissue that we needed to segment accurately and I have successfully done that. Ultimately what I want to achieve is to model the growth of this epithelial tissue using lets say level set methods. As a starting point what I want to do with this segmented black and white image is to apply toy forces on some of the points on the boundary of the tissue and look at the deformation of the tissue. I am curious how I can load an image to Abaqus. I saw some papers where this has been done, but I just dont see how they have done it. Has anyone any idea about how I can proceed ?[/QUOTE]

There are certain software doing this job for you. For an idea and keywords you can visit the following site:

[url] http://www.simpleware.com [/url]

Kumar

5 Replies
afarin
Topic starter
(@afarin)

Hi Kumar,
thank you for the pointer. This is good starting point for me, but I think I am not going to be able to pay for this software and plus our school does not have licence for this software. It dawned on me yesterday though. I heard that Abaqus has a scripting language that basically can do anything that you can do by clicking the menu buttons. Now I am thinking to write the boundary points to a file and using the the scripting language read these points and connect them. That way I will have the tissue loaded to the Abaqus software.

Do you think this is doable with the scripting language or I am being very optimistic about this. Has anyone had any experience about the scripting language?

lynx
 lynx
(@lynx)
Trusted Member

[QUOTE=zadig,5907]Hi Kumar,

thank you for the pointer. This is good starting point for me, but I think I am not going to be able to pay for this software and plus our school does not have licence for this software. It dawned on me yesterday though. I heard that Abaqus has a scripting language that basically can do anything that you can do by clicking the menu buttons. Now I am thinking to write the boundary points to a file and using the the scripting language read these points and connect them. That way I will have the tissue loaded to the Abaqus software.

Do you think this is doable with the scripting language or I am being very optimistic about this. Has anyone had any experience about the scripting language?[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Anything is doable by scripting, but the question is will you want to script.

The answer depends on your main concentration. If the mechanics is your main issue, I would suggest to use the program during its trial period (about 1 month), and create your abaqus model. Lateron, if you really want an independent platform, you can go with your own script.

Best.

Kumar

afarin
Topic starter
(@afarin)

I actually tried scripting and it works beautifully. This is very convenient, now I can totally automate this step.

anatolia
(@anatolia)

If people are still interested in trying Simpleware software for this purpose, please visit [URL= http://simpleware.com/ ]www.simpleware.com[/URL], where we have a free 30-day trial. Weve also recently updated our materials capabilities with modules for calculating effective material properties from scans.

Gareth
Simpleware

Share: