Notifications
Clear all

Tire Modelling

Serch
Topic starter
(@Serch)

Greetings:

I am working on a project on the use of tires for seismic applications and in the process, I need to model a tire in abaqus and run a few dynamic and static tests to determine energy dissipation and hyperelastic behavior.

I had a question about how to model a tire in abaqus. I tried to use create a 3d deformable solid in the shape of a C and then revolve it 360 degrees to get an approximate model. However, the strength of a tire under an axial load is partly due to the presence of the fiber reinforcement in it. In the tire model that I need , it will just be the the tire without any tube/inflation and the inner portion would be hollow.

Are there are suggestions as to how I could model them in abaqus. Also, any help fiiles on modelling a tire in abaqus would be very useful

thanks very much.

anantha

Topic Tags
6 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Hello Anantha,

Very good questions. As you might have noticed, the competion in the tire industry is very high, and the tire companies are for that reason very secretive about their tire models. I am not aware of any publically available FE model/mesh for a tire. Although I have not done an exhaustive search.

What I would do is similar to what you outlined: start by meshing a tire geometry that is reasonable, and then assign the appropriate material parameters to the different regions that I want to model. There are some book available that outline the generic structure of car tires that might be of interest.

Best of luck,

Jorgen

Topic Tags
6 Replies
Serch
Topic starter
(@Serch)

Dr. Jorgen

Thank you for your response.

I tried modelling the tire as a 3d deformable solid with hyperelastic properties from uniaxial and biaxial test data. I did not however incorporate the viscoelastic properties since I was only doing the static analysis first.

However, when i run my job with a static load applied as a ramp over 1 second at increments of 0.0001 or lesser and with automatic selected in the load step, the program invariably aborts with errors in convergence and/or time steps. Are there any rules of thumb/tips that might help me run a quasi-static test on a pseudo-tire such that I am able to get a force-deformation plot for a selected node ?

I am modelling the tire in such a way that it rests in the 1-2 plane and equal loads are applied in the + 2 and -2 direction. By assumption, the 2 diametrically opposite nodes are restrained such that they have movement only in one direction, say either the 2 or 1 direction with 3-direction translation restrained.

Thanks much

Anantha

Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Hi Anantha,

[quote]I tried modelling the tire as a 3d deformable solid with hyperelastic properties from uniaxial and biaxial test data. I did not however incorporate the viscoelastic properties since I was only doing the static analysis first.[/quote]

Sounds like a good approach. Start simple and then make advanced.

[quote]However, when i run my job with a static load applied as a ramp over 1 second at increments of 0.0001 or lesser and with automatic selected in the load step, the program invariably aborts with errors in convergence and/or time steps. Are there any rules of thumb/tips that might help me run a quasi-static test on a pseudo-tire such that I am able to get a force-deformation plot for a selected node ? [/quote]

It must be something wrong with your FE implementation. Does your simulation crash immediately? or sometime later in the simulation? How does the deformed mesh look?

Best of luck,

Jorgen

a-hamdy
(@a-hamdy)

properties for 16.9R38 agricultural tire

i want to model an agricultural tire(good year) 16.9R38 with ansys. but i dont have its hyperelastic or strain-stress curve.

thank you very much.

Jorgen
(@jorgen)

I dont have information about that tire either.
Perhaps someone else knows more ❓

axon224
(@axon224)

I am trying to model a tire... what i need is the profile shape of tire... i mean is there any particular formula for that inverted u shape or should i make it approximately by looking at the tire nomenclature?

Share: