Clear all

Remeshing on Abaqus\Standard

14 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@Daniel)

Hi Friends,

I was trying for long to remesh a 2D model for metal cutting , but I couldnt. On Abaqus \Satandard.Please can anyone explain me the right procedure :

1-To extract the deformed object.

2-To remesh this deformed object ( for the moment I prefer to do this manually)

3-For relancing the calculation I am using the *MAP SOLUTION , do u have any other suggestions.

On Abaqus\Exolicit exists the *adaptive meshing , but I am using an option ( *debond) which is not available in the Explicit.So is there method to make the *adaptive meshing option available in the standard module.

Thanks for your reply.

Lot of thanks.

Topic Tags
13 Replies
(@jorgen)

Hello Imed,

Here are a few answers. You can extract the deformed mesh, for example, by writing a rather simple abaqus python script that extracts the nodal coordinates and connectivities. See the scripting manual for exampels.

You can then manually remesh your object and run whatever simulation you need. Your approach to use *Map solution is fine. I have used that method many times in the past. The are currently no easy what (what I know of) to do the adoptive remeshing in ABAQUS/Standard.

Best of luck,

Jorgen

Topic Tags
13 Replies
Topic starter
(@Daniel)

Hi ,

I/

Thanks a lot for your intresting reply. I found two ways to extract Data from an .odb file

1-The first way a manual one using the probe values (Tools-->Query-->Probe values) .it needs to choose nodes one by one .it seems too long especially for complex model. It generates an .rpt file

2-The second one is automatic one using a script written in the script manual it is named odbElementConnectivity.py but the problem that I couldnt run it.

I opened an odb file ,I go to run script and located this script but there was an error message:

Error: you must supply the name of an odb on the command line

File c:/ABAQ/odbElement Connectivity.py,line21,in ?

sys.exit(1)

Exit code:1

I tried many ways to give the odb path file but it doesnt accept any path I entered.Have you tried this script before(Can it contain errors) ?What is the write way to enter the odb path name?

II/

Something is foggy for reusing odb .Once I get a file containing the following data:

Part Instance Node ID Original Coordinates Deformed Coordinates

X Y Z X Y Z

PART-1-1 189 6.686 2.2 0. 6.36755 2.15563 0.

I dont know how will I use it to remesh the deformed shape Do u have any idea, to use this information to get a new meshable geometry?I mean an object that I can mesh it using abaqus capabilities.

Sincerely.

(@jorgen)

The second option that you mention: using a script to extract information from the odb, is very powerful, and actually not that difficult (if you know the computer language Python).

I have not used the script that you mentioned, but I have written many scripts in Python for extracting and manipulating data from odb-files. If you want to learn more about this approach I suggest that you read the manual about scripting and that you try it out. Since Python is an interpreted language it is easy to debug your program. Simply start abaqus python and then type in your commands at the command prompt.

The way to remesh using this technique is to extract the coordinates and the element connectivity information and then recreate the input file from that data.

This approach works, but can be somewhat tricky 😉

Topic starter
(@Daniel)

Hi,

Thanks for reply. For the script I am still trying, I know little about the Python language. But Ill do it.

I have an approach I ll explain it and I want to see if its correct:

1-I have the node deformed shape coordinates.

2-I choose only the contour coordinate nodes (one by one)

3-using the sketching module on abaqus cae I enter(manually) the contour trajectory node by node(point by point)

this step takes too much time. especially for huge number of contours node.

4-I use ABAQUS capabilities to get a new mesh of the got geometry.

5-I generate the New nodes coordinate and new elements definition.

6-I reimplant these data in the original file

7-I restart calculation

I want to know if this is the used method or theres other(s) one(s).

Yours sincerely.

(@jorgen)

Your approach sounds OK, exept that I think that you can make it more automatic. If I remember right, you can directly read in the deformed contours into ABAQUS/CAE and then just remesh what is inside the exterior contour. This can be further automated using a Python script.

Topic starter
(@Daniel)

Hi,

Can u give me more details how the way to make it automatically.I Think that the manual mode is boring and needs lot of care .Results are not so encouraging.

Can I get an idea about your own method to remesh using Abaqus \standard

Sincerely.

Page 1 / 2
Share: