Notifications
Clear all

Pressure as the initial boundary condition

ross88online
Topic starter
(@ross88online)

Hello all,

I need to apply an initial boundary condition in the format of pressure on one the edges of my solid model (ABAQUS software). I have the following in my INPUT file:

*Initial Conditions, TYPE=STRESS

Top , 0.0,500.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0

Where top is the element set next to that edge and 500 is the magnitude of pressure in the y direction. However, it seems that the pressure only goes to the associated element set (Top) and it isnt transferred to the neibour elements. Am I doing sth wrong? I can apply the pressure to all elements instead of Top Elset, but Im not sure if this is correct way of modelling it.

I would greatly appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks,

Roshanak

2 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Why can you not specify the pressure using a pressure or traction distributed load? It seems backward to do it using *INITIAL CONDITIONS.
Your approach should still be fine if you give the model some time to reach equilibrium.

-Jorgen

2 Replies
ross88online
Topic starter
(@ross88online)

Hi Jorgen,

Thank you for your reply. On the time of posting this message, I had problem in understanding the concept of having consequent steps. I was not sure if the load remains there or not.
Following what you kindly mentioned, I applied the pressure in the first step to give it the time for equilibrium and its working now.

Thank you again.

Share: