Clear all

Orthotropic material and element deletion in ABAQUS/Standard and Explicit

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@gropossum)

Dear all allknowing minds,

I am running an analysis with orthotropic material and want to run an analysis taking into account local material failure through element deletion. The failure criterion is that the material may fail by stresses exceeding the capacity in either of the three dimensions/axes (S11, S22, S33, S12, S13 and S23).

Does anyone know how this may be handled in Abaqus? Need help to know where to state the capacities for the stresses of the orthotropic material and which failure function to use.

Hope the question is understandable (maybe somewhat vague?).

Thanks in advance for all help you provide!

2 Replies
(@jorgen)

First, I dont think you can activate element deletion in Abaqus/Standard (it works in Explicit).

I would solve that problem through the use of a VUMAT. Using that method you can implement any failure model that you like.

That might perhaps be unnecessary in your case. I dont have access to the Abaqus documentation at the moment, but if I remember right, Abaqus V6.8 contains another user-material subroutine that can be used to trigger element failure. I recommend that you check out the user-subroutine documentation...

-Jorgen

2 Replies
(@pointerstockist)

[QUOTE=Geddon,4743]Dear all allknowing minds,

I am running an analysis with orthotropic material and want to run an analysis taking into account local material failure through element deletion. The failure criterion is that the material may fail by stresses exceeding the capacity in either of the three dimensions/axes (S11, S22, S33, S12, S13 and S23).

Does anyone know how this may be handled in Abaqus? Need help to know where to state the capacities for the stresses of the orthotropic material and which failure function to use.

Hope the question is understandable (maybe somewhat vague?).

Thanks in advance for all help you provide!

hello, can u give me th *.inp file for modeling the orthotropic material. Now i want to analysis a orthotropic plates with abaqus. Thank you very much. my e-mail is [email]ez3452@wayne.edu[/email]

Share: