Clear all

Modelling Viscoelasticity in ABAQUS

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@rissellosen)

Hi All

I am new to FEM and I am required to model an HDPE and uPVC pipe in ABAQUS. However, I have no clue at all how to do this.

As far as I understand, the process is as follows:

1. Inputting the viscoelastic properties under Material

There is no experiemental data which can be used for this model, albeit from literature.

In this step, research has shown me that a Prony series provides the best data for the viscoelastic properites. However, I am finding it difficult to find literature with the Prony series paramters, as they usually involve the creep or elastic compliance, of which I have no idea how to convert into the shear or bulk relaxation modulii. (for example, these sources are Table 3.10 in A MULTISCALE MODEL FOR COUPLED HEAT CONDUCTION AND

DEFORMATIONS OF VISCOELASTIC COMPOSITES (Khan K, 2011) and Analysis of the non-linear creep of high-density polyethylene (Lai & Baker, 1994).

I have also seen that alternatively the creep or relaxation test data can be used and ABAQUS will then calculate the prony series.

Please may someone advise which method we use and how would we go about doing it.

2. Creating a visco step under steps and applying the necessary loading

3. From then on, it follows the norm of FEA

Also, apologies for my english and grammar.

Thank you for your help

1 Reply
(@jorgen)

Your proposed strategy seems OK to me, except that Linear Viscoelasticity may not be good enough (depending on your applied loads).

Best of luck,
Jorgen

1 Reply
Share: