Material model verification

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
 nare
Topic starter
(@nare)

Hello users,

I have a basic problem with material model verification. Recently, i come across a report which verifies certain model against available stress-strain data.

For certain displacement, strain and stress are calculated and plotted and compated with experimental data. In that process, experimental data is given as input. then how the output is different.

How the software works here. If strss-strain are decided by material model equation, then what is use of given experimental stress-strain input.

I understand i miss something terribly and too silly. But, please explain me .

Thanks for any info.

PEEK

Topic Tags
3 Replies
(@jorgen)

I dont quite understand your question. To me it seems like a good idea to compare experimental stress-strain data to model predicted stress-strain data.

- Jorgen

Topic Tags
3 Replies
 nare
Topic starter
(@nare)

How it is compared

Thanks Jorgen. To me also it is a good idea. but my question was how it is done in the software.

We give the experimental strss- strain data as input and again we are comparing the output from software with the same experimental stress-strain data.

How this stress strain data is used in the software. what is the function of material model here.

How the resulting stress strain is predicted? Can you please explain with common example like tensile test.

Hope i am clear here. Looking for your help.

(@jorgen)

Perhaps I still do not quite understand, but it seems likely to me that the software that you are referring to is using the experimental stress-strain data as input, and then uses a material model to simulate the experimental strain history. The predicted stress result can then be directly compared to the experimental stress results. If the two are similar then the model can be considered to be accurate (for that load case at least).

- Jorgen

Share: