Clear all

Importing results file (.fil) data into user subroutine UFIELD

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@lipaul)

Hello all,

Any feedback here would be much appreciated, as this has been driving me nuts for the past day or so.

I am working in Abaqus, and I want to use UFIELD to manipulate a couple of field variables I am using for my simulation. The manipulation requires access to stress and strain data, and I cant figure out how to make Abaqus read stress/strain values at nodes within UFIELD.

The closest I can get is to get Abaqus to write stress/strain values to a results file as averaged at nodes. Im hoping this is a step in the right direction, as it says in the Abaqus User Subroutine Manual under UFIELD:

[I][INDENT]UFIELD...can be used to modify field variable values read from a results file.[/INDENT][/I]

...which suggests to me that UFIELD somehow has access to the results (.fil) file. Trouble is, after going through all their verification examples, etc., and endless searching on the internet, I cant figure out how to get UFIELD to read from the results file. I have a suspicion (based on some literature and internet searching) that URDFIL, which can directly read from the results file, is involved.

Anyone have experience with this? Could someone please help out? Im happy to further clear up my position or provide any additional info which may be helpful.

Thanks!

-MN

Topic Tags
1 Reply
Topic starter
(@lipaul)

Hi all,

I figured out a couple of ways to deal with this. So, for posteritys sake:

1) One option is to read the desired info using URDFIL and writing the results to memory using a Fortran Common Block. Briefly, this is a way to set global variables, so values can be shared between programs. Note that the names of your own common blocks need to start with K, otherwise they run the risk of interfering with those native to the Abaqus coding. For more info on common blocks, one of my favourite Fortran reference sites is [URL= http://www.fortran.com/F77_std/rjcnf0001.html ]here[/URL].

2) Instead of writing the results to memory, you can alternatively write to an ASCII file (regular text file such as .txt, as opposed to a binary file) using Fortrans Write, Open, Read, etc. statements. Note that available logical unit numbers for use in Abaqus subroutines files are 15-18 or 100+.

Cheers!

-MN

Topic Tags
1 Reply
Share: