2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@aas0092)
Eminent Member

Hi 🙂

I have geometry for my problem in two parts:

A. The actual solid geometry

B. The fiber directions at known points (can be inter/extrapolated to any point)

I have successfully imported the solid geometry. 😎

I am however, not quite sure how to import the fiber directionality data, and also how to implement this in Abaqus. (This data is from Matlab.)

1. [U]Please advise on implementing this in Abaqus.[/U]

I have read about user subroutine Orient. I think this may be used to define material directionality, but not quite sure how to use it.

2. [U]Please advise[/U]

So, at each Gauss point, I will essentially have a fiber direction. The direction of the fiber will determine a local coordinate system, in that direction. Does this comply with what Abaqus does in this situation? How does one work with this?

3. [U]Please advise[/U]

Thank you

Davinci (YK)

Topic Tags
4 Replies
(@jorgen)

The Orient subroutine should be suitable for this. What you need to do is to import the fiber directions to the orient subroutine and then calculate the directional cosines.

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
4 Replies
Topic starter
(@aas0092)
Eminent Member

Orient fibers

Hi

I have the fiber direction data in X, Y, and Z components, as well as the corresponding position in 3D space, as X, Y and Z coordinates.

I would like to take this data into Abaqus, for use with a UEL.

How does one go about doing this?

Also, is there some way to visualize the fibres in Abaqus CAE?

Kind Regards

(@jorgen)

(1) I assume that you should be able to include the fibers with orientations directly into your UEL formulation by using an appropriate constitutive response.

(2) I cannot think of a way to visualize the fiber orientations using Abaqus CAE 🙄

-Jorgen

Topic starter
(@aas0092)
Eminent Member

The fiber data which I have, is unique for each integration point.

Thus at each integration point, I should have a local coordinate system with 1 direction along the fiber. (Seeing as its transversely isotropic, the 2 orthogonal directions are not a concern)

I read up on the orient and distribution subroutines. The distribution can be displayed in Abaqus CAE.

I am still not quite sure on how to feed this data in using orient and distribution.

Also, looking at the examples in the documentation, it seems that creating an input file could be rather tricky.

Any advice on these issues?

Share: