Notifications
Clear all

Hysteresis Modeling

purush537
Topic starter
(@purush537)
Eminent Member

Hi Dr. Bergstorm and everyone,

I have been working on the modeling of the elastometer in an application with strain level of almost 15% and maximum deformation rate of 80 1/s. One of the main issues in our product failure is fatigue and failure in high temperature, the working temperature can get as high as 120C.

I am trying to model the steady state thermal-structural analysis of our product. So far I have developed the test plan for material characterization of the structural part but I am almost blank on the thermal side of the project, especially its hysteresis part.

In theory I should be able to find the hysteresis heat generation of the elastomer from the stress-strain curve so I might not need any additional test for the hysteresis modeling. Correct?

I am using MSC.Marc and I know that there is not any direct method of calculating hysteresis heat generation within the software. Is Abaqus or Ansys any better?

In case I have to do the heat generation calculation manually and enter it to FEA process, what is the best reference or practical way for it?

Thank you

4 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

Yes, you can determine the hysteresis from cyclic loading-unloading experiments. As far as I know, neither Abaqus or Ansys can directly output hysteresis values. You will have to calculate it as part of your post processing effort.

-Jorgen

4 Replies
purush537
Topic starter
(@purush537)
Eminent Member

Thank you Dr. Bergstrom

Do you recommend any reference for calculating hysteresis heat generation for the coupled thermal-structural coupled analysis?

Thank you,

Jorgen
(@jorgen)

I would simply use the area under the stress-strain curve during cyclic loading to estimate the hysteresis.

An alternative is to extract and collect the dissipated energy during the analysis.

-Jorgen

purush537
Topic starter
(@purush537)
Eminent Member

Thank you,

I think I should study a bit more on how to do this process in coupled thermo-mechanical analysis.

Thank you again,

Share: