Notifications
Clear all

hyperelastic not working for modeling heat transfer on elastomers  

JeffFerreira
(@JeffFerreira)

Hello all,

I am modeling high temperature performance of elastomeric bearing pads made up of steel and neoprene layers using ABAQUS.

When I modeled the polymer as Hyperelastic for heat transfer, I have following warning - can some one help me!!

Initial poissons ratio (pr0) for the hyperelastic material is zero or negative: pr0 = -1.0000. It is generally recommended that single element models be used to verify that the chosen material constants lead to a well defined hyperelastic material.

The *hyperelastic option may not be used in this type of analysis.

What material to select for heat transfer on neoprene with ABAQUS?

2 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

A negative Poissons ratio does not sound good 😮

I would check your material model definition.
Oh, are you using a coupled thermo-mechanical analysis?

-Jorgen

2 Replies
JeffFerreira
(@JeffFerreira)

Hi Jorgen
Yes I am doing thermo mechanical analysis. So in heat transfer step - I defined -sp. heat ,conductivity and other thermal data and I also defined material as hyperelastic with neohookean calibration in same step. Some of my friends suggested there is no need to define elasticity properties of a material (especially when I am not defining any coeff. of thermal expansion) in heat transfer step. As the main goal of heat transfer step is to come up with nodal temperatures for a given thermal load and boundary conditions. However I still have to define hyper-elasticity in stress transfer step, so again this warning shows up - its just a warning not an error. So i just want to know how serious or much difference does it make in analysis.
Tq

Share: