How to pick elements on the inside of an object

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@james.lockley)
Trusted Member

Hello,

I have a closed hollow object which is filled with another material in its cavity. I would like to model contact between the outer surface of the cavity and the inside of the outer object (TIED contact in ABAQUS). I am using Patran for pre-processing but I cant figure out how to pick the elements that are on the inside of the hollow object, or get the element numbers some how so I can add it in the input file by hand. Does any one know how this can be done?

Thanks!

:confused:

Topic Tags
5 Replies
(@jorgen)

I know how to do it with the Abaqus pre-processor (CAE).
Perhaps someone else can provide more info about the Patran approach...

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
5 Replies
Topic starter
(@james.lockley)
Trusted Member

Dear Jorgen,

Thanks for your response. That would work too! How would you do it in CAE? I can import the input file into CAE and have it edit it for me. Please kindly let me know 🙂

(@jorgen)

I would create two parts, and then create a surface for each parts, and then define a contact pair for those two surfaces. Should be easy ,)

-Jorgen

Topic starter
(@james.lockley)
Trusted Member

Dear Jorgen, thanks for responding. I think my description was not clear enough. I am able to define contact if I have the element numbers but my problem is actually picking the elements that are in the contact region - this is a problem when the contact region is not visible. Also if I have both objects on, I can not see and access the contact area in order to select elements/nodes, and if I have only one of them on, then I dont know where the contact surface is! Here is how I ended up going about it though: since I can use Geomagic to render a surface from the area where the two object contact, I can save that as an stl file. Then I wrote a MATLAB program that finds the nodes with those coordinates in the PART mesh (input file) and then finds the elements that are built on those nodes. I then copy and paste the output of my code to create a surface for defining contact.

Not sure if a better way exists for doing this.

(@jorgen)

Since I dont know all the details of your model I cannot say for sure, but I suspect that there are an easier solution.

If your approach work that sounds good too.

-Jorgen

Share: