Notifications
Clear all

how to model reinforcement in soil??

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@bilsay)

I want model 6mm reinforcement in embankment. And I try to use membrane element in ABAQUS, but i found at geostaic step, there is 6mm between top and bottom embankment.

I cant understand what is happened?

Thanks in advance!

Topic Tags
7 Replies
Topic starter
(@bilsay)

Follow the question, I found there is 6mm displacement at the top embankment and 3mm displacement at the bottom embankment.

Topic Tags
7 Replies
(@jorgen)

I have to admit that I dont quite understand your question. Can you explain more?

-Jorgen

Topic starter
(@bilsay)

Actually, I am not quite understand the meaning of thickness of Membrane element.

When I use this element, I give the thickness 3mm.

I put this element in the embankement, and I reduce the support from the bottom of embankment (there are 1/4 present of embankment bottom is fixed), so after analysis I found there is big gap between top embankment and membrane element (reinforcement), and also there is big gap between bottom embankment and membrane element. I cant understand what happend.

Thanks in advance.

(@jorgen)

The thickness of a membrane element is just a specification of its thickness. Note that membrane elements are 2D elements that are shown in CAE as 2D plane elements. The thickness is not visible.

-Jorgen

Topic starter
(@bilsay)

Thanks for your reply, it helps me to understand what happened with my model. That is to say, I cant see the thickness of this reinforcement, but If I want get tension I still need use like S11 to multiple this thickness.

Just like, Tension (KN/m)= S11 (kN/m2) * thickness (m)

Is that correct?

And also, that is to say, I will get some initial displacement at the top of my embankment, which is caused by the thickness of reinforcement. Could you give me some idea how to aviod it? Or if I use membrane element, I definitely will get this displacment? Or do you think I can change it to another element type in Abaqus?

Thanks a lot!!

(@jorgen)

Your equation for the Tension seems OK to me.

I still dont quite understand what you are trying to do with your model.
Perhaps you can try to use 3D elements in stead of membrane elements. That way you can visualize the deformations, etc, better.

-Jorgen

Page 1 / 2
Share: