Search
Close this search box.
Notifications
Clear all

How to introduce a Hertzian contact law in Abaqus?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@Saeky)
Eminent Member

Hi, All,

Is there anyone used to introduce a Hertzian contact law in Abaqus? Currently, I have been working on impact analysis, The force vs time cureve i got from the analysis was overestimated. I learnt from one article that introducing a Hertzian contact law will provide more realistic results.

The article is Dynamic response and damage modeling of glass/epoxy tubular structures: Numerical investigation by M Tarfaoui, PB Gning and L. Hamitouche. Composites: Part A, 2008: 39: 1-12.

I have produced the pressure vs indentation data according to the Hertzian contact law described in that article for the loading stage. I input these data to define the overclosure vs pressure relationship using the tabular method. Is the approach i have been using correct. However, I didnt know how to define the unloading branch. Since if the unloading stage is considered, then one value of the pressure might corresponding to two overclosure value. I didnt know if abaqus is able to distinguish the loading branch and the unloading branch.

Any comment on the question posted here? Or how to deal with the problem when the contact force vs time curve is overestimated?

Thank you so much in advance.

Best regards,

Jingfen

Topic Tags
2 Replies
(@jorgen)

what material are you studying?

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
2 Replies
Topic starter
(@Saeky)
Eminent Member

Hi, Jorgen,

I am using the user-defined material model for fiber reinforced composite materials. Does the material used matter?

Best regards,

Jingfen

Share: