Search
Close this search box.
Notifications
Clear all

How to activate and deactivate element automatically.

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@mohamad3235)

Anyone experience in the activate and deactivate element automatically in ABAQUS. got any suggestion how to do it or example can refer?

Ex: when element 1 exceed the maximum strain, i need to activate the element 1. and

when element 2 less than minimum strain, i need to activate the elements surrounding element 2.

my purpose activate and deactivate the element is to get the equilibrium of the model after some steps.

the attachment above is the example model that what i means.

thank you.

Topic Tags
6 Replies
(@pravin3113)
Trusted Member

Look into add/remove element option along with USDFLD subroutine.

Topic Tags
6 Replies
Topic starter
(@mohamad3235)

sorry IceBreaker, im coundnt find the add/remove element along with USDFLD in abaqus Documentation?
ist in the Abaqus User Subroutines Reference Manual:1.1.45 USDFLD?

(@kiranckst)
Trusted Member

I dont believe there is an element add/removal capability for Abaqus/Standard. Two typical approaches for what you are looking at are to:

1) Artificially increase/decrease element material stiffness using the USDFLD subroutine through making material properties depend on a user defined field.

2) Run multiple analyses and use the model change feature to add/remove elements as required after each analysis.

(@pravin3113)
Trusted Member

Correct@lumpwood. It is model change, add or model change, remove that I had in mind.

Topic starter
(@mohamad3235)

model change only can do it for the manually... its difficult if the model in 3D model. any others software that can support this type of problem? thank you.

(@pravin3113)
Trusted Member

Manually? I am not sure what you mean. You can write a code in USDFLD and, based on a field variable, get rid of elements and the whole process may be automated.

Share: