Clear all

Abaqus element interpenetration after element deletion

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@romanlevi)

Hi Everyone,

Im using Abaqus/Explicit with VUMAT and element deletion to model failure of composite and Im having some problems with the element deletion.
The model was built with one part which was partitioned into several cells and each cell represents a different material (fibre or matrix). C3D4 elements (no hour glass) were used and linear elastic material properties were used in VUMAT.
I defined a failure criteria in VUMAT and the element met the criteria was deleted. However, the two elements adjacent to the deleted one interpenetrated and overlapped in the next time step possibly because the deformation.
Ive attached the pictures of the result. The green material (resin) was deleted and the fibres (green and white) got interpenetrated in the next time step.
Before element deletion

After element deletion

Is there any way to set the element to avoid it?:confused::confused:
Thank you so much in advance!:oops::oops:

Shuo

Topic Tags
5 Replies
(@randywarne125)

Im dealing with the same issues for about two months now. Ive tried everything and Ive probably ran about 70 variations of my model in order to try and fix this. My last resort, which I suggest you try, is to place contact conditions between the elements with penetration issues. Im currently working on that and I am not sure if it will solve the problem.

Topic Tags
5 Replies
Topic starter
(@romanlevi)

Hi ricpinto,

Thank you for your suggestion. Ive already tried using contact for the whole model, but Abaqus didnt recognise the surface created by element deletion and the same inter-penetration occurred. Seems very tricky now.

(@randywarne125)

Try not to delete the elements. Thats what Im doing (will start to run the model soon). I believe (no scientific justification) that if you delete the elements that are part of the contact surfaces you will loose the contact properties and penetration happens.

Topic starter
(@romanlevi)

Thank you for the suggestion.
However, I have to use element deletion because Im modelling damage and once the stiffness is degraded to 0 the element has to be deleted otherwise Abaqus can no longer continue to compute....Still out of clue:(

(@ABoase)

Abaqus/Explicit is just helpful for me

Share: