Abaqus beam integration points

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@atlas09)
Trusted Member

Hello,

I am using Umat for a Shape memory alloy material while i am using beam elements to model sma wires.

But i think i nees some more integration points than the defaults which abaqus provides.

I read in the users manual for example for a beam element : (users manual vol4 316page of pdf file aabqus v6.9.1)

Nondefault integration input for a beam section integrated during the analysis

Beam in a plane: A maximum of 9 points are permitted.

Beam in space: Give an odd number of points in the radial direction, then an even number of points in

the circumferential direction.

Can anyone give me an advice how i will ask for these non default points in the input file?

thanks in advance for every reply

Topic Tags
5 Replies
(@stusapien)
Eminent Member

The number of section integration points are set in the 3rd line of *BEAM SECTION, SECTION=CIRC.

Topic Tags
5 Replies
Topic starter
(@atlas09)
Trusted Member

will you please give me an example because i tried that and i think it didtn work

Topic starter
(@atlas09)
Trusted Member

OK i found it, it works very well xexe, thanks very much for the info.
Could you tell me where did you found it in the abaqus manual?

(@stusapien)
Eminent Member

Youre welcome.

I looked first in the User Manual like you did, and there it is mentioned that the input options for a circular section require *BEAM SECTION, SECTION=CIRC. Then I read the *BEAM SECTION keyword description in the Keyword Reference Manual. Good luck with shape memory alloy UMAT.

(@mogs14)

ANSYS vs Abaqus integration cross section

Hi

Thank a lot for this topic, I was able to solve my problem.

A comment on cross section integration (in my case rectangular cross section).

Abaqus is using a 5 point Simpson integration

ANSYS is using Gauss integration with weight and position given in ANSYS documentation (BEAM23)

The difference in deflexion when beam bending with a nonlinear material is quite big (40% in my case) so be careful. It seems that there are more restrictions in ANSYS cross section.

Share: