Clear all

uniaxial tension test

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@RachelAbrams)

hi

I used ASTM D412 for uniaxial tension test of silicone rubber. I simulated this test in ABAQUS. I used hyperelastic material model and uniaxial test data in property module.

The stress-strain curve of the result is different from test. Where is the problem?

Topic Tags
5 Replies
(@jorgen)

How different were they? You cannot expect a hyperelastic material model to completely predict the response of a silicone rubber.
For example, silicone rubber is viscoelastic which cannot be captured with a hyperelastic material model.

The [URL= https://polymerfem.com/content.php?77-bergstrom-boyce-model ]Bergstrom-Boyce[/URL] (BB) model is a non-linear viscoelastic model for elastomers that is often more accurate.

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
5 Replies
Topic starter
(@RachelAbrams)

uniaxial tension test

Thanks for your response

Tests were performed with two strain rates 120 mm/min and 500 mm/min. Tests results are almost identical. Tests show that silicone rubber exhibit an elastic behavior!

I simulated silicone rubber with two models, hyperelastic and elastic. Elastic model analysis exited with an error Too many attempts made for this increment (step time=0.31)

You can see test data and the results in attachment files.

Topic starter
(@RachelAbrams)

I modify this sentence Tests show that silicone rubber exhibit a linear elastic behavior!

(@jorgen)

If the strain is larger than a few percent they you should not use linear elasticity, but hyperelasticity.
The data in your figure indeed show a rather simple response. You can likely capture that using a suitable hyperelastic material model.

-Jorgen

Topic starter
(@RachelAbrams)

Thanks a lot

Share: