Clear all

Nylatron GSM - FE modelling

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@jaylee3)

Hi all !!!

I am new to this forum. I am working on FE modelling of Nylatron GSM.

can you please help me with the experimental data for Nylatron.

thanks in advance

Topic Tags
4 Replies
(@jorgen)

That is a crosslinked Nylon 6 material, isnt it?

Have you asked the raw material manufacturer?
Can you perform some experiments your self?
What type of FE simulations are you doing?

- Jorgen

Topic Tags
4 Replies
(@eugenebraswell)

Hi Dr. Bergstrom,

I realize this is an extremely old post, but I am now working with the same material and was wondering if anyone has come across the stress-strain data at any point for Nylatron GSM PA6. Information regarding the material can be found here:

[url] http://www.quadrantplastics.com/na-en/products/machinable-plastics/engineering-175-325-f/extruded-and-cast-nylons/nylatron-R-gsm-pa6.html [/url]

I am running a FE simulation of a structure which uses this material quite prominently for energy dissipation purposes and need to have the time-dependency modeled correctly. I have tried running my own compression tests (as the material is used in compression only), but the machine I used has some slop in compression and therefore the data I obtained was affected. Since we dont have much money to pay to do more tests, I am looking for an alternate source for the data. I have one set of compression data from the manufacturer of the structure, but unfortunately I only have a single test at a single strain rate (although I do not know what the strain rate is).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

(@jorgen)

I am afraid that I dont have any experimental data for that material. Perhaps someone else have other data to share?

If all you have is one strain rate (and not relaxation/creep) data then you unfortunately cannot really calibrate a time-dependent model.

Note that if you use an attached extensometer/strain gauge then you can prevent the slop from polluting your data.

Best of luck,
Jorgen

(@eugenebraswell)

Thanks for your help. We have decided to go ahead and test again, using an attached displacement gauge to prevent the slop from affecting the results. Due to the mathematics of springs in series (which is how I have represented the testing machine with slop) and the need to maintain a constant rate of loading, we have decided to test in load control this time, rather than displacement control. The procedure would be the almost the same as testing in displacement control, yes? However, I would need to complete two tests at different [B]loading[/B] rates rather than different strain rates, correct? Additionally, any ABAQUS models used for calibration of the model would have to be edited accordingly, so that load is applied and displacement is measured rather than vice versa.

Share: