Notifications
Clear all

Viscoelastic properties of rubber foams during cure and after-cure

furocious
Topic starter
(@furocious)

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post this thread. If I have posted it in the wrong forum kindly move it to the most relevant one.

I intend to characterize the viscoelastic properties during vulcanization and of the vulcanizate using a rheometer, using standard ASTM D6601. The problem is that the mixture would contain a chemical blowing agent as well, which would cause expansion somewhere during the vulcanization process. Now my guess is that this would not result in an ideal foam structure in the rheometer, since the cone-plate assembly is to be used.

Does anyone have any experience in characterizing the viscoelastic properties of elastomers using this process? I know that it can be done with a DMTA, but I was wondering if I would be able to do it for foams in the rheometer.

Many thanks,

Farhan

2 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

I typically use DMTA or standard test machines, but a rheometer can also work.

-Jorgen

2 Replies
furocious
Topic starter
(@furocious)

Thanks for your reply Jorgen. The only thing I am confused about is whether fully vulcanized rubber/foam can be used in the rheometer or not. The standards I have seen so far only cater for the study of unvulcanized and the vulcanization process. Can I use a fully developed elastomer in the rheometer as well?

Share: