Clear all

Material Coefficients

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@doghak)

Hello all,

I am trying to simulate elastomer in compression and shear. However, when using the Yeoh or Neo-Hookean material models calibrated from some shear tests I have done, the compression results are way off. Do you know of any way to achieve a better correlation with my compression results. The tests I have use steel-rubber composite layers to maximize the compression stiffness. However, the stiffness value is not well simulated. In shear no obvious problem is noticed.

Regards,

Topic Tags
5 Replies
(@jorgen)

That sounds odd to me. What elastomer are you studying?
My experience is that accurate predictions in one loading mode together with a simple I1-based hyperelastic material model gives accurate and robust predictions in other loading modes!

Are you sure your experimental data is correct?

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
5 Replies
Topic starter
(@doghak)

Hello and thanks for the fast reply.

I am testing neoprene material and I am pretty sure the experimental data is correct. The testing I am conducting is the series of layers (forming a steel-laminated elastomeric bearing) in compression. What I measure is load-vs deflection and try to simulate it in ABAQUS using curves I can provide you and accounting for material compressibility.

(@jorgen)

Aha. It sounds like you are trying to compare predictions from a material model calibrated to shear data to experimental data from a multi-layer compression test. The compression data is likely highly dependent on the Poissons ratio / bulk modulus. How do you know what the bulk modulus is for your rubber?

-Jorgen

Topic starter
(@doghak)

Yes. Bulk modulus (K) was measured via a confined bulk modulus test. The obtained value was close to values reported in the literature (~400ksi). The compressibility was taken into account by inserting D1=2/K. Am I doing something wrong?

Topic starter
(@doghak)

To add to the previous post, when Im modeling the confined compression test on ABAQUS with D1=2/K the resulting K Im getting is always smaller. Any idea of how to process?

Thanks!

Share: