Clear all

Temperature dependent modelling

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@Mechmindful)

Hello

I am modeling a fully coupled thermomechanical viscoelastic material using Abaqus explicit. I am using a linear model (generalized maxwell) approach as I intent to model dynamic behaviour using the given prony series in Abaqus.

My problem is that there seem to be no heating effects related to the viscous properties of my material even though due to the applied cyclic loads the temperature should increase several 10K. In Abaqus Standard one has to toggle on (using CAE) a specific box to take into account that the viscous damping effects are accounted for. But I have not found any similar possibilities regarding simulations using Abaqus explicit. In the manual are only heating effects mentioned due to plastic behaviour of the material and I wondered about the fact that in Abaqus the viscous (damping) energy and the internal energy are explicitly splited up in different terms. The definition of internal energy consists of all kind of energy only the translational and rotational parts of kinetic energy are excluded. Temperature is connected to the variation of the internal energy. If now the internal energy is splited I wonder how heating effects due to dissipated viscous energy aprts is accounted for?

Please let me now if I am wrong and how I can simulate heating effects using Abaqus explicit due to pure viscous behaviour of materials meaning that there are no plasticity effects involved in the material behaviour/simulation.

Bye gunkerle

Topic Tags
1 Reply
(@jorgen)

My understanding is that you should be able to run be able to run a viscoelastic simualtion in ABAQUS/Explicit that calculates the temperature increase due to the energy loss during loading. Are you sure you have setup your simulation right?

- Jorgen

Topic Tags
1 Reply
Share: