Clear all

Simulating rubber mounts behavior in a precise way

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@ddesai)

Dear experts,

at first i want to introduce myself. My name is Christian. I work as a research assistent and Phd student on the University of Technology Freiberg, Germany. My research topic is about rubber bushings in passenger cars.

I going to simulate their behavior in a precise way. Some papers und my own experimental results tells me a very complicated behavior during multiaxial loadings. These rubber mount can be imagined as simple cylinders. Combined loadings (e. g. an axial displacement with a simultaneously twist around the same axis) leads to nonlinear relationships. The torsional moment decreases with increasing axial displacment until a special point and furthermore increases with increasing axial displacement. Commercial avaiable constitutive models does not fit this very special bahavior very well.

Does anyone know a constitutive model which can overcome this drawback?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards, Christian

3 Replies
(@K3v1n17)

What commercial software are you referring to and what constitutive models?
I assume you are interested in both loading and unloading and at fairly high strain rates?

3 Replies
Topic starter
(@ddesai)

[QUOTE=afreiden,10014]What commercial software are you referring to and what constitutive models?

I assume you are interested in both loading and unloading and at fairly high strain rates?

Hi Afreiden,

thank for your reply.

At first I was unsing ANSYS 14. Included hyperelastic models are mooney rivlin, arruda boyce, gent, yeoh, neo hook, bergstrm boyce (only in ANSYS mechanical).

In the moment I use Python programming language with a easy to use FEM-Modul. Now i am looking for a better working constitutive hyperelastic model to simulate these very special nonlinear behavior. All of the models avaiable in ANSYS are useful for unidirectional loading modes. At the moment, were combinded loads are occur, none of them gives good results.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards, Christian

(@dvhudson08)

[QUOTE=ChLohse,10013]Dear experts,

at first i want to introduce myself. My name is Christian. I work as a research assistent and Phd student on the University of Technology Freiberg, Germany. My research topic is about rubber bushings in passenger cars.

I going to simulate their behavior in a precise way. Some papers und my own experimental results tells me a very complicated behavior during multiaxial loadings. These rubber mount can be imagined as simple cylinders. Combined loadings (e. g. an axial displacement with a simultaneously twist around the same axis) leads to nonlinear relationships. The torsional moment decreases with increasing axial displacment until a special point and furthermore increases with increasing axial displacement. Commercial avaiable constitutive models does not fit this very special bahavior very well.

Does anyone know a constitutive model which can overcome this drawback?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards, Christian

Hi Christian,

Any FEA model is as good as the input data. Do you have experimental data of your material for different deformation modes (Uniaxial, biaxial, shear, volumetric)? You cannot just fit torsional loading data in ANSYS. Pardon me if I assumed something wrong. Now lets assume you have all the deformation mode data but you are not able to fit it using the available hyperelastic models in ANSYS, in such case you can use Response Function hyperelastic material model which can directly take experimental stress-strain curve.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Share: