Clear all

Mooney Rivilin

16 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@sark_09338)

Hi Sir,

I am using Mooney Rivilin Material for my analysis in Ansys. I have got a uniaxial tensile test data of NR. i got calculated the Mooney Rivilin Constants. My loading is rubber plate in between two metals. If i apply Tensile of compression load( Pressure) on the metallic plate i am getting results exactly as expected. But if i apply shear load on the metal plate, i am getting a result which is not corect. Please help me in this regard.

Topic Tags
15 Replies
(@jorgen)

The Mooney-Rivlin model is a simple model that can be quite sensitive to the chosen material parameters. In your case the problem could be either that you dont happen to have representative material parameters, or simply that the Mooney-Rivlin model is not a good choice for your material.

Did you calibrate the Mooney-Rivlin model using the shear data? What material parameters did you end up using?

- Jorgen

Topic Tags
15 Replies
Topic starter
(@sark_09338)

Mooney Rivilin

Sir,

Thank you for your reply.

I have calibrated my shear data for mooney rivilin i am getting some error. it is not exactly matching. Can you suggest me any other material model for my material (Natural Rubber). Is it sufficient to have only uniaxial tensile test data or is there to have multiaxial data.

(@jorgen)

When using the Mooney-Rivlin (MR) model it is generally recommended to use test data from a few different loading modes, such as uniaxial, shear, biaxial, plane strain.

There are other hyperelastic models that are often recommended over the MR model. For example, the 8-chain model of Arruda-Boyce, the Gent model, the Yeoh model, or a more recent model by Horgan et al.

Jorgen

Topic starter
(@sark_09338)

Mooney Rivilin

Thank you for ur reply sir,

I have got Uniaxial tension data and Shear test data for my material.

ANSYS is having a inbuild curve fitting module.

Can suggest me any references to calculate material constants from these two sets of experimental data.

(@jorgen)

Unfortunately, I dont think there are any good references for that. If you are up for it, you can write your own material parameter finder for the hyperelastic model. It is actually not too hard...

- Jorgen

Topic starter
(@sark_09338)

Sir

Thanks for ur reply

Can you sugget me any study material for writing my own hyperelastic material. I am trying to fit the stress strain behaviour of my rubber material from equbiaxial data. is it sufficient to model the material?

Page 1 / 3
Share: