Notifications
Clear all

Limitations of material modelling based on vendor material data sheets?  

krande
Topic starter
(@krande)

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new when it comes to polymers, so please bear with me.

(If this question belongs in a different forum section, I will be happy to oblige.)

I am working on a design that requires simulating the nonlinear stiffness of a polymer in a variation of shapes and sizes. Before requesting more detailed test data from different vendors, we were hoping we could utilize some of the data in the official vendor material data sheets to do some preliminary testing of the polymers in an Abaqus simulation (using solid elements) by establishing a "good enough" representation of the polymer material for a specific load scenario. The motivation for doing so is that we would like to be able to do some preliminary screening of the types of polymers and mechanical qualities that show signs of the desired behavior.

The load scenario is compression only on a flat surface at a load duration of 0.5-3 seconds from zero to full load. The shape and size of the polyurethane would be a box shape (HxWxD) of 200x400x50 [mm]. The shape variations are primarily regarding the roundness of the front of the polyurethane and its depth (50mm+-20mm). The ultimate goal is to obtain a type of polymer and corresponding shape with a nonlinear stiffness that results in a specific force-displacement curve.

Take the following material data sheet (for Adiprene LF750D): https://materials.ulprospector.com/en/profile/default?e=241811

This particular data sheet includes some mechanical compressive and tensile test results (albeit comprised of very few data points) based on the ASTM D695 and ASTM D412 standards.

So, my question is: If we were to use the ASTM test data and setup as test-cases for us to recreate and use to calibrate a polymer material model. Would the simulated results based on the material model give us any reliable indication of the expected behavior? And what would you suggest the limitations of that model be?

If the material data sheet is insufficient we can ask for more data from the different polymer-suppliers. Any advice on what tests and the quality of test data you think would suffice for this particular load scenario is greatly appreciated!

If more information is needed in order to provide an answer to my question, feel free to ask and I will update my question accordingly!

Kind Regards

Kristoffer

1 Reply
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

What you are describing is a reasonable approach for screening materials, and yes you can calibrate a simple hyperelastic or plastic material model to the provided experimental data. The MCalibration software can certainly make that calibration very quick and easy.

Once you are getting more confident with your design and material options it is likely worth the effort to obtain a more comprehensive and accurate experimental data set, which can be used to calibrate a more accurate viscoplastic material model.

-Jorgen

Share: