Debonding

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter
(@bw_composite)
Estimable Member

Hi everybody,

I am trying model a component made of various layers of wire reinforced rubbers.

The component works in shear and due to its loading such a strain field is created that the failure is always at at interface between two different rubbers.

This is fair enough but the intention now is to predict the load to failure.I have created a model and extracted all the information I could in relation to the interface.

I would expect both radial and shear strains to have an impact on debonding, but what is the relationship?

I have been told by a colleague that he believes a lot of work was done on epoxy resins and that some models exist, such as linear combination of radial and shear strains, equivalent stress criteria, etc.

So far I have been trying to find an evident predictor myself, but it was not easy.For your curiosity, the best results so far (20% error) has been obtained using the component normal to the interface of the first principal strain, but this seems a little bit speculative to me...

Anybody has any knowledge on this? Any sugegstion or source would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you and have a very mice weekend

Muzialis

1 Reply
(@jorgen)

I think your approach sounds good. I would also try to isolate and load the interface in a controlled way using experiments. In your case, isnt the radial and the normal strains the same :confused:

One complication is that strength predictions are tricky due to the statistical distribution of both the adhesive and cohesive strengths.

- Jorgen

1 Reply
Share: