Bad material definition: vumat

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@sandra)
Eminent Member

Hi,

In my simulation, I use two different sets of material properties and define the constitutive relation using vumat. The material properties and the vumat have been tested individually and they work fine.

When, I use two different sets of material properties simultaneously in simulation, I get the following error

***ERROR: Bad Material definition in element number 136 instance MERGE-1: zero or negative initial dilatational modulus caused by bad material data. Please check your material input and any initial conditions if necessary.

The dilatation modulus (= (stressNew-stressOld)/strainInc for both sets material parameters at t=0 is greater than zero. So i am not really sure, why this error would occur.

I would really appreciate inputs to tackle this problem.

Thanks

Topic Tags
4 Replies
Topic starter
(@sandra)
Eminent Member

I am still lost.

I used a simple cuboid formed by merging two cubes of different material properties. This simulation works provided each cube is meshed as a single brick element. However, when I go for more elements, the simulation thows Bad Material definition error.

B

Topic Tags
4 Replies
(@kiranckst)
Trusted Member

Do the individual vumats work for multiple elements/complex loading conditions?

Could excessive deformation speed/mass be affecting the result with the two merged together?

Topic starter
(@sandra)
Eminent Member

hi lumpwood,

thanks for your suggestions. i figured out the error. i had a misplaced return statement in the code. now things look brighter..

brunda

Topic starter
(@sandra)
Eminent Member

hi lumpwood,

thanks for your suggestions. i figured out the error. i had a misplaced return statement in the code. now things look brighter..

brunda

Share: