Notifications
Clear all

Stress Triaxiality in ABAQUS

Page 1 / 3

GustavSad
Topic starter
(@GustavSad)

Hi all,

Is it possible to obtain stress triaxiality value in the odb file of abaqus. According to the documentation it says use the command TRIAX but I couldnt find this variable in the field output after completion of the simulation.

Thanks and Regards,

Rohith

Topic Tags
16 Replies
Jorgen
(@jorgen)

How do you define stress triaxiality?
If it is not in the users manual then it is probably not available.

-Jorgen

Topic Tags
16 Replies
GustavSad
Topic starter
(@GustavSad)

Hi Jorgen,

I work on metal plasticity and ductile fracture problems. Stress Triaxiality is defined as the ratio of (HYDROSTATIC PRESSURE OR MEAN STRESS) to the EQUIVALENT STRESS.

When I check the abaqus field output variables this option is available but only in the recent versions (6.8 & 6.9). The input file usage according to the documentation is TRIAX.

I have written this on my input file and executed the code but I couldnt found anything related to this variable in the .odb file to plot this contour.

Thanks and Regards,

Rohith

Jorgen
(@jorgen)

That is strange. I just checked the TRIAX variable should be available for odb-output for both Abaqus Standard and Explicit.

Are you sure you specified it right in the inp-file?

-Jorgen

GustavSad
Topic starter
(@GustavSad)

Hi Jorgen,

Thank you, I have a doubt. If a particular variable is not available in the field output request through GUI, is it possible to obtain the same variable in .odb file through inp file request. Because I have written it in the .inp file but if at all there is something wrong I should receive some error. But I didnt. Any ways I will check the usage once again.

Thanks and Regards,

Rohith

lynx
 lynx
(@lynx)
Trusted Member

[QUOTE=unsrohith,5867]Hi Jorgen,

Thank you, I have a doubt. If a particular variable is not available in the field output request through GUI, is it possible to obtain the same variable in .odb file through inp file request. Because I have written it in the .inp file but if at all there is something wrong I should receive some error. But I didnt. Any ways I will check the usage once again.

Thanks and Regards,

Rohith[/QUOTE]

Dear Rohiht,

I have worked on similar problems before. Except for the trivial solution of your case which I beleive you will figure out by the closest time can you mention what metals, which processes and which fracture criteria are you working with?

lynx
 lynx
(@lynx)
Trusted Member

If you cannot figure out to reach TRIAX at least you can create a new field through the CAE from allready existing Mises stresses and hydrostatic stresses. Pay attention to the fact that negative triaxialities although standing for the compressive hydrostatic stress states will appear as positive in ABAQUS. That is because the PRESSURE variable in ABAQUS is -trace(STRESS)73. The reason is simple and derived from the FEELING 🙂 of PRESSURE.

Page 1 / 3
Share: