Clear all

Rotation in ABAQUS

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@kuddy)

Dear all,

it would be nice if someone could help me how to interpret results in ABAQUS.

I am modeling components with alternating rubber and steel layers in ABAQUS 6.6-3. The top steel layer is rotated about a reference point which lays outside the model. The bottom steel layer is fixed. Thereby the rubber layers create a restoring moment.

I need the information which moment is required to rotate the top steel layer by a specific angle about the reference point.

My idea was to define a nodeset (approx. 2000 nodes) at the bottom steel layer and multiply the reacting force of each node with their X-coordinate of the coordinate system I created in the reference point. Does anyone know how I could realise this or maybe someone knows an easier way to get the information how big is a corresponding moment if I apply a specific rotation.

I would be thankful for any kind of idea or information.

Best regards,

toby

Topic Tags
4 Replies
(@jorgen)

Can you explain more about how you impose the rotation of the top layer?
You might be able to extract the moment from the top layer...

- Jorgen

Topic Tags
4 Replies
Topic starter
(@kuddy)

I use *COUPLING (kinematic) to connect the nodes of the top layer to the reference point. In the BCs I let the reference point rotate around the Y-axis of the coordinate system which is placed in this point (e.g. 0.01 rad).

(@jorgen)

An alternative is to make the top steel layer rigid, and then give that rigid part a reference point that that you rotate (which might be similar to what you are already doing). Then you can save the reaction moment that is acting on the reference point. That reaction moment will be identical to the applied moment. You can save the reaction moment using a *History Output command.

- Jorgen

Topic starter
(@kuddy)

Thank you for the quick reply Jorgen. It works fine with your recommendation. I only had to define another set which only includes the reference point before I could use this set for the history output.

Thanks again and all the best for 2008!

toby

Share: