Notifications
Clear all

Making Movies in Abaqus...

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter
(@jeffk)

I have a finite element mesh that Ive generated from CT scans for a complicated open foam structure. There is no one particular vantage point which gives a good sense of the meshes structure, so Id like to create a video of the mesh rotating and then showing a cross-sectional slice moving forward and back through the mesh. Does anyone know if this is possible in Abaqus or have any other recommendations on how to go about creating such a movie? Id really appreciate it. Thanks!

4 Replies
(@jorgen)

I am not sure Abaqus can do that in a nice user-friendly way (perhaps someone can correct me on that).

One workaround is to use a screen capture program and then manually manipulate the CAE results. This way youll at least get a video of the geometry.

-Jorgen

4 Replies
(@kiranckst)
Trusted Member

In Abaqus you can automate screen captures and manipulate the view (rotation and cut) using python scripts. You can then combine all the captures in an avi using a third party program. Its not pretty but should give you what you want.

(@jorgen)

That is a good suggestion - I like that approach (for now).

-Jorgen

(@kiranckst)
Trusted Member

Heres the commands youll need:

To get a rotating animation its a fairly simple case of using a loop to gradually increment the angle of rotation, then use the commands:

[I]session.viewports[].view.rotate(xAngle=)

session.printToFile(fileName=, format=TIFF, canvasObjects=(

session.viewports[viewport name], ))[/I]

If you want to zoom while rotating use:

[I]session.viewports[].view.zoom(zoomFactor=)[/I]

Ive never used it to perform cuts but the commands:

[I]session.viewports[].odbDisplay.setValues(viewCutNames=(Y-Plane, ), viewCut=ON)

session.viewports[].odbDisplay.viewCuts[Y-Plane].setValues(

position=)[/I]

should do the job.

Have a go running these in the CLI at the bottom of the Abaqus window if youre not used to python. The default viewport name is Viewport: 1.

Share: