Thread: Constraining two nodes together in an analysis

Constraining two nodes together in an analysis

Hi Guys,

I am running an analysis to attach two nodes togther. In step 1 I am displacing
    a node X to a Node Y such that both are in the same position at the end of the
    step. In the second step i want to tie constrain them such the if I move node Y
    node X will be attached and folllow it. I have tried tie constraints however
    these cannot be activated/deactivatied in steps only at teim zero in the
    analysis. I am looking at connectors and giving the assignment behaviours of
    tie/link etc however I cannot get this to work. Anybody have any ideas?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by slimjimmy View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am running an analysis to attach two nodes togther. In step 1 I am displacing
    a node X to a Node Y such that both are in the same position at the end of the
    step. In the second step i want to tie constrain them such the if I move node Y
    node X will be attached and folllow it. I have tried tie constraints however
    these cannot be activated/deactivatied in steps only at teim zero in the
    analysis. I am looking at connectors and giving the assignment behaviours of
    tie/link etc however I cannot get this to work. Anybody have any ideas?

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I think that you cannot use tie constraint in this case, this condition is always used in the beginning of analysis and remain active during the hole analysis.
    Try to use a contact interaction during your second step in which u set tangential behavior to rough and normal behavior to hard contact, normaly this should contrain the nodes toghether.

Regards.

Hi BoltLoad

I have tried this however it does not prevent nodes from decoupling once i apply a displacement. I have however, found an alternative.I have drawn a beam element from the two connecting points. Deactivate this element in the first step and reactivate it in the second step. This couples the nodes together and acts as a tie constraint that can be activated/deactivated throughout the analysis