Thread: Soil Mechanics: Problems with an Effective Stress Analysis in Abaqus/CAE

Question Soil Mechanics: Problems with an Effective Stress Analysis in Abaqus/CAE

Hallo.

I'm modelling a sheet pile wall in a cohesion soil with groundwater level placed in the top of the model in Abaqus/Cae. In this context I want to make an effective stress analysis. I have establish my initial effective stresses and pore pressures in a Fortran subroutine. As my first step I have made a Geostatic step where the gravitation load is applied. In the soil material I have specified a soil density of 19.9kN/m^3 and a specific weight of the wetting liquid of 9.82kN/m^3. Further I have specified the hydrostatic water pressure at the boundaries. I'm using Pore fluid/stress elements.

Unfortunately, when I'm running the analysis my intial effective stresses from Fortran and the effective stresses in the geostatic step do not equilibrate when I'm looking at the vertical stress component in the visualization modul.

Have somebody an idea of what I'm making wrong? Is it the wrong type of elements I'm using or should I make another step than the geostatic step?

\Mads
    Last edited by Sohn1; 2010-03-23 at 03:24.

well really no information about your question just attaching some information for the user who visit this tread and get knowledge about the topic

Soil mechanics is a discipline that applies principles of engineering mechanics, e.g. kinematics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, and mechanics of material, to predict the mechanical behavior of soils. Together with rock mechanics, it is the basis for solving many engineering problems in civil engineering (geotechnical engineering), geophysical engineering and engineering geology. Some of the basic theories of soil mechanics are the basic description and classification of soil, effective stress, shear strength, consolidation, lateral earth pressure, bearing capacity, slope stability, and permeability. Foundations, embankments, retaining walls, earthworks and underground openings are all designed in part with theories from soil mechanics.
    ERWIn