Thread: Mullins effect

Mullins effect

Hi friends,

I'm carrying out a modelling of an elastomer with Abaqus Standard v.6.4-1 and I need to introduce in the software the Mullins effect using test data. I don't know if Abaqus has a predefinied option in Material properties (I don't find it) or if I have to use a subroutine (like UMULLINS).
    Could anybody help me?.

Thank you very much.

Have a nice day!!!!

Fol

SF#

Hi Fol,

Yes, ABAQUS has built-in support for determining the material parameters from experimental data. Section 10.6.1 in the user's manual states:
    Experimental unloading-reloading data from different strain levels can be specified for up to three simple tests: uniaxial, biaxial, and planar. ABAQUS will then compute the material parameters using a nonlinear least-squares curve fitting algorithm. It is generally best to obtain data from several experiments involving different kinds of deformation over the range of strains of interest in the actual application and to use all these data to determine the parameters. It is also important to obtain a good curve-fit for the primary hyperelastic behavior if the primary behavior is defined using test data (*HYPERELASTIC, TEST DATA INPUT).
    - Jorgen