Thread: Abaqus error message"'LINK' is not recognized"

Abaqus error message"'LINK' is not recognized"

Hi all, it's been a while I did not visit that website, and usually when I come back, this is not a good sign.

So here is the problem.

I am an abaqus user, just installed the 6-9 EF version.
    I also use Intel Visual Fotran 11.1 compiler and Visual studio 2008.

I recently tried to run old UMAT - INP jobs and after encountering and soving the iFOR.exe problem, I now face a brand new one:

-------------
    'LINK' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    Abaqus Error: Problem during linking - Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines.
    This error may be due to a mismatch in the Abaqus user subroutine arguments.
    These arguments sometimes change from release to release, so user subroutines
    used with a previous release of Abaqus may need to be adjusted.
    Abaqus/Analysis exited with errors
    ---------------

Hopefully, someone can help me solving this problem. Thank you in advance.
    Regards,

pateno

That error message indicates that your PATH variable is not setup correctly. LINK is an executable that is part of Visual Studio and you need to make sure your Abaqus cmd window has the proper PATH variable setup.

Also, you might want to check that Abaqus checks the compiler versions that you have installed. I don't recall which compiler versions are recommended. (It is often possible to use more recent versions but it may take some effort to make it work).

-Jorgen
    Jorgen Bergstrom, Ph.D.
    PolymerFEM Administrator

Me again ... Tried what i think had to be tried

Good evening, so following your advice, I first looked for the "link.exe" in my computer ... I found 3 different paths:
    - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\Bin
    - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\Bin\amd64
    - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\Bin\x86_amd64

For those 3, and separatyl, I tried to affect the path following the procedure below:

--------
    My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environment Variables:
    -in the "System variables" list locate "Path" variable
    ->Edit-> add the path to the folder were the "ifort.exe" has been installed. (e.g. "C:\Program Filed\....\BIN")
    You need to separate the new path with a ";" from the other paths.
    ->OK->OK->Apply->OK

If open, you have to restart ABAQUS.
    ----------

Each time, I ended with the same error message ... nothing has changed. Did you see anything wrong in what I tried? Any other idea (by any chance?).
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Pateno

I have not done this for a while, but I recommend that you try the following:

1) open an Abaqus cmd-prompt window
    2) CD to the MS Visual Studio Bin direcotory and then run the command: vcvars.bat (I don't the exact name fo the that file)
    3) Then try to run abaqus using: abaqus job=.... user=....

-Jorgen
    Jorgen Bergstrom, Ph.D.
    PolymerFEM Administrator

one after another ...

Good morning, me again ...
    Trying to make my path to being able to run a job with a umat program.

So the previous error message was solved simply by running the job with that Fortran CMD window instead of the abaqus one ...

.023 file was created and everything seemed to work until, an error message appeared with the following error in the associated TXT file:

------
    Creating library standardU.lib and object standardU.exp
    'mt' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    Abaqus Error: Problem during linking - Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines.
    This error may be due to a mismatch in the Abaqus user subroutine arguments.
    These arguments sometimes change from release to release, so user subroutines
    used with a previous release of Abaqus may need to be adjusted.
    ------

Concerning Jorgen's last reply, I actually did not find any "vcvars" program ...

As usual, please feel free to share your thoughts.
    Thank you in advance,

Pateno:
    I just have a comment on your linking problem in the Abaqus CMD window - you need to initialize the fortran compiler in the Abaqus CMD window. For instance, if you have Intel Fortran you have to add the path of the "ifortvars.bat" file in the Abaqus CMD>properties>shortcut>target>(insert path here)>Apply>OK. If you do this you don't have to run the simulations in the fortran CMD window. Alternatively, you can run the .bat command in the Abaqus CMD window everytime you open it.

Jim

7. Pateno:

Here is what worked for me (thanks to one member on PolymerFEM):

User variables
    INCLUDE=C:\Programmi\Intel\Compiler\Fortran\10.1 .014\IA 32\Include ;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio8\VC\PlatformSDK\Include
    LIB=C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\Fortran\10.1 .014\IA32\Lib;C:\ Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio8\SDK\v2.0\Lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\PlatformSDK\Lib

System variables
    IFORT_COMPILER10=C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\Fortran\ 10.1.014\
    INTEL_LICENSE_FILE=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\Licenses
    PATH=C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;%IFORT_COMPILER10%\IA32\Lib; %IFORT_COMPILER10%\IA32\BIN;C:\ABAQUS\Commands; C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bin;C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin;C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio8\VC\PlatformSDK\Bin;C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages;C:\Programmi\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\Tools;C:\Programmi\Microsoft VisualStudio 8\Common7\IDE

Do the following also:

Abaqus Command

Go to Start - Programs - Abaqus - Right click on Abaqus Command - Click on Properties

Change the Target to the following:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat" & "C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\Fortran\10.1.014\IA32\Bin\ifo rtvars.bat" && C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k

Click OK

If you want to run Abaqus CAE with vcvars32.bat and ifortvars.bat already running in the background, do the following:

Abaqus CAE

Go to Start - Programs - Abaqus - Right click on Abaqus CAE - Click on Properties

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat" && "C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\Fortran\10.1.014\IA32\Bin\ifo rtvars.bat" && C:\Abaqus\Commands\abq691.bat cae || pause

Click OK

Abaqus Verification

If you are interested in carrying out a verification of the entire Abaqus/Fortran/Microsoft Visual Studio set-up, do the following:

Go to Start - Programs - Abaqus - Right click on Abaqus Verification - Click on Properties

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\vcvars32.bat" && "C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\Fortran\10.1.014\IA32\Bin\ifo rtvars.bat" && C:\Abaqus\Commands\abq691.bat -verify -all -log && notepad.exe verify.log || notepad.exe verify.log

Click OK

Once you are done, all you have to do is click on the Abaqus Command icon and all .bat files will get executed and you will be good to go.

abaqus job= ABC user = XYZ

ABC is the inp file and XYZ is the fortran source code or an object file (XYZ-std).

"Jorgen That error message indicates that your PATH variable is not setup correctly. LINK is an executable that is part of Visual Studio and you need to make sure your Abaqus cmd window has the proper PATH variable setup.

Also, you might want to check that Abaqus checks the compiler versions that you have installed. I don't recall which compiler versions are recommended. (It is often possible to use more recent versions but it may take some effort to make it work)."

i have to agree
    conson